Monday, January 28, 2019

My Favorite News Sources

As a 19 year old college student, I'm still trying to find my own opinion on certain issues. This is why it is so important for me to find news sources that are unbiased when it comes to business, politics, and world issues. While I am still figuring out which news sites I like and can rely on, these are my current favorites.

The New York Times
In early high school, when I realized it was time to start keeping up with current news, I googled the most popular news outlet. I know, you're probably laughing at me. The New York Times was number one on the list and since that day I've been reading it. Not necessarily because it's my favorite but because if most Americans get their news from this source then if I read it then I will be in the same loop as most other Americans. 

The Wall Street Journal
This is one of my favorites because they publish new articles 6 days a week, they were voted one of the most reliable news outlets in the nation, and they have a student plan with discounted prices. This news site reports national and international news about business, politics, and international affairs.

PBS News Hour
This news outlet was voted as the most unbiased news source in the nation. As a 19 year old who is still trying to figure out my own opinion, it is important for me to read facts rather than someone else's views. The website also consistently publishes videos along with their articles which is more interesting to me.

Snapchat
Okay, I know. Technically, this isn't a news outlet but magazine and news sites post 'stories' of videos and articles about the latest news. News outlets like NBC and The Washington Post upload new stories to their Snapchat everyday, you can also subscribe to their stories so theirs will be at the top of your feed. There are usually videos, music, or interactive features included in the short, to the point stories that are uploaded.

Twitter
I know, another form of social media but Twitter has recently added a feature called 'Moments' which contains articles about subjects in news and politics that people are tweeting about. It's a pretty cool feature because after reading the article you can click on the hashtag that has been viral for this issue and read all the tweets where people have been sharing their opinions on the issues. I stay logged into Twitter on both my phone and computer so it is easy to just scroll through and look and stories and headlines. Reading normal people's opinions about the issues discussed is also one of my favorite parts about using Twitter as a news outlet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Class Reflection

When I first signed up for this class, I was honestly dreading it. The word "law" scared me. The last government class I took wa...